We are publishing an interview of Mr. Sameer Jain, CEO & Founder, The Moustache Laundry – This Pune based laundry startup is a tech enabled platform for on-demand and locker laundry service.
About the founders
- Sameer Jain (CEO):
Role: Marketing, Strategy and Finance
History: Senior, Ernst and Young; Finance analyst, GE Capital
Stats: Age:25, Experience: 4.5 Years
Education: Chartered Accountant
Passion at work: creative solutions for complex problems!
- Gurdeep Singh (COO):
Role: Operations and Technology
History: Auditing, Ernst and Young; Auditing, SKP& Co.
Stats: Age:24, Experience: 4.5 Years
Education: Chartered Accountant
Passion at work: people management, in-charge of getting things done!
- Saquib Jawed (CPO):
Role: Executing Technology and advertising campaigns.
History: Marketing, TastyKhana; Marketing, Calsoft
Stats: Age:26, Experience: 6 Years
Passion at work: maximum leads with minimum cost!
What is the problem you are trying to solve? Can you share with us any insights that led you to believe that this is a big enough problem?
- DEPENDENT ON MAIDS: In-home laundry process is highly dependent on finding proper Maids, their timings and most importantly, their attitude.
- TIME CONSUMING: If not by Maid, laundry needs to be done by ourselves, which is time consuming and frankly, very stressful!
- LOCAL Laundry-WALA: The local Laundry-Wala comes with the hassle of timeliness, quality, reliability and the distance of travel to drop & pick clothes.
- TYPES OF CLOTHES AND SEASON: It is nearly impossible to wash all types of clothes in-home (Ex: Sherwanis and Delicate-Fabric clothes). Also, the rain spoils the in-home drying process, adding to the avoidable stress!
What is the uniqueness about your Startup?
- Operational Excellence: We have registered 0.05% complaint till date on our platform
- User Experience: Best rated laundry app in india, with average 4.7Star ratings.
- Customization: High level of customization possible
- Convenience & Reliability: We provide convenience in pickup and delivery timing with no minimum lead time (that’s quickest in the industry) with timely delivery. Hence, reliable too
- Locker Laundry: We provide laundry service via locker facility too.
Why do you choose crowdfunding?
To raise investment.
Why should anyone or investor back you?
We are operationally excellent and we deliver awesome user experience.
Where can people back your project?
Strategy, Finance and Contacts.
What would you do after raising funds?
The fund will be used to setup an operational facility and expansion of locker laundry service to every hostel, society, offices.
What is the revenue model? Explain your thought process.
We are currently B2C focused. Our major revenue comes from wash and iron services(charged at 89 rs a kg), then drycleaning (starting 50Rs a pc) and then only ironing services (starting 7 rs a piece). We have ventured into B2B space too.
Who are the consumers that you are targeting? How is this going to affect them?
We target students, working professionals and couples working. We provide them pickup and delivery at their convienent time. Thus reducing their time on doing laundry.
What is the big picture of your startup? Will it lead to something bigger? If so, how?
We are planning to scale the business to entire Pune and Mumbai in next 3 Years and venturing into B2B space on larger scale with a expected turnover crossing 25 crores.
What is the success story of your startup in your own words?
Over the last 2 years, we have been able to build a lean, scalable and profitable model. We expect good net margins in the years to come. We are currently making a Net 15% margin on our sales. We have iterated from an aggregator to a completely in house model over the years and have learned and grown ourselves over the year.
Any other information about your startup that you would like to share with us.
The Moustache Laundry is a tech enabled platform for on-demand and locker laundry service. We evolved our name from the tag line “A real man doesn’t do his laundry and doesn’t let his women do it either” Thus all our delivery guys carry a moustache.